• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

Alright, I'm going to start off saying I've already heard the horror stories about the on3 kits so nobody needs to bring that up. The only thing I'm interested in is the turbos themselves. At $300 a piece they're very tempting, especially when the same turbo from Master Power is $620. Has anybody had issues with the turbo failing? I don't care about the piping or anything else, I'm just wondering about the reliability of these turbos. Specifically I'm looking at picking up a couple t70's with a .68 a/r.

#2 scott2001GT

scott2001GT
  • Normal
  • 2299 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 11:34 PM

Alright, I'm going to start off saying I've already heard the horror stories about the on3 kits so nobody needs to bring that up. The only thing I'm interested in is the turbos themselves. At $300 a piece they're very tempting, especially when the same turbo from Master Power is $620. Has anybody had issues with the turbo failing? I don't care about the piping or anything else, I'm just wondering about the reliability of these turbos. Specifically I'm looking at picking up a couple t70's with a .68 a/r.

cheap turbos dont pay. Why cheap out? also a .68AR is was to small unless you run a V6 motor
2001 Mustang GT(11.649 @ 119) Few bolt-ons. --- Tuned by -Bobcat-

Big Thanks to STL Mustangs and Wagon Wheel Performance

More than a hundred grand under the hood.

#3 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:41 AM

They're actually a little big for what I'm using but I'd rather have a little room to grow. I've seen the same style Master Powers on a 370 go high 150's in the quarter at 3200 pounds. I'm just curious if anyone has had these turbos fail. If I could get away with them for a year until everything's sorted out then I'd give them a shot. If they're known to send wheels through the motor I won't even give them another look. Eventually I'd like to get a couple Precisions but I'm not dropping $2500 on turbos right now.

#4 Willy Mo

Willy Mo
  • Normal
  • 2322 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

as many horror stories there are, iver heard just about the same amount of good stories. The kits make good power and I havent heard much failure of the MP turbos. The only thing i have read is issues with over spooling them (choosing too small of a turbo). I think you could get away with them.

0EA22022-1AFF-4924-9176-6E576430612B-171

www.marpark.net

#5 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts
  • Interests:SCUMBAGGERY.

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:09 PM

as many horror stories there are, iver heard just about the same amount of good stories. The kits make good power and I havent heard much failure of the MP turbos. The only thing i have read is issues with over spooling them (choosing too small of a turbo). I think you could get away with them.

I don't think hes talking about the masterpowers but the Chinese ones. people have good luck with the y2k ones they will do about 600 as a single.
<p>Bring yo best 305 suckas.   Home of the baddest troybuilt on a single plate and 8" tire.

#6 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

Yeah I'm talking about the Chinese ones. Just wondering how reliable they've been for people that have actually used them.

#7 Willy Mo

Willy Mo
  • Normal
  • 2322 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

well I have seen peope use the chinese turbos too. again the problem is over spooling.
take a look at this articel car craft did. usins a pair of cheap ebay turbos.
http://www.carcraft....gine/index.html

0EA22022-1AFF-4924-9176-6E576430612B-171

www.marpark.net

#8 scott2001GT

scott2001GT
  • Normal
  • 2299 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:07 PM

I personally wouldn't use it. a lot of peeps run MP on theturboforums.

A good Precision turbo jb with a non billet wheel is like a thousand bucks.
2001 Mustang GT(11.649 @ 119) Few bolt-ons. --- Tuned by -Bobcat-

Big Thanks to STL Mustangs and Wagon Wheel Performance

More than a hundred grand under the hood.

#9 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

Yeah Precision's range from $1000-1500 a piece, that's not an option right now. All I'm looking for is info from people that have actually used them. I know they're not on the same level as Garrett or Precision but if I can run them for awhile before the seals start leaking without chucking a wheel I'll be happy.

#10 BLK_03

BLK_03

"Will only go from 60"

• Members
  • 5154 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:55 PM

Yeah Precision's range from $1000-1500 a piece, that's not an option right now. All I'm looking for is info from people that have actually used them. I know they're not on the same level as Garrett or Precision but if I can run them for awhile before the seals start leaking without chucking a wheel I'll be happy.

It will cost more to do it twice. Just sayin.

Tbone23.jpg

8.36 @ 168 mph 1.35 60'
LUND RACING'S FASTEST EECV PROCESSOR
Twin turbo and tuned by:

lundracingbannersmall.gif

#11 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:20 PM

That's very true. I haven't been able to get any info from people with firsthand experience with these turbos, good or bad, and that's really pushing me away from them. I'll more than likely bite the bullet and get a couple new ones from Master Power and be done with it. They actually have a reputation and support and I've had good luck with them. I'm always up for saving a buck but cutting corners never ends well. I'd really like a pair of 61-67mm Precisions but damn they're expensive.

#12 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

That's very true. I haven't been able to get any info from people with firsthand experience with these turbos, good or bad, and that's really pushing me away from them. I'll more than likely bite the bullet and get a couple new ones from Master Power and be done with it. They actually have a reputation and support and I've had good luck with them. I'm always up for saving a buck but cutting corners never ends well. I'd really like a pair of 61-67mm Precisions but damn they're expensive.

How much power are you trying to make and whats it on some more details might be able to point you in a cost effective solution.
<p>Bring yo best 305 suckas.   Home of the baddest troybuilt on a single plate and 8" tire.

#13 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

It's a 347 spun to 7000 max, looking to trap in the low to mid 150's with a 3300 raceweight. I realize you can't cheap out at this level and another $600 at this point really isn't that big of a deal, it's just nice saving some money when you can. I know the Master Power's are more than capable of what I'm after and they're priced decently. I won't have any issues spooling them on the brake with the small housings and 347 cubes either. When it comes right down to it I was just wanting something that is most likely too good to be true.

Edited by jridenour31, 16 February 2011 - 11:51 PM.

#14 5.0 Mustang Man

5.0 Mustang Man

Fuck Cobras

• Members
  • 1705 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:57 PM

You will need to be making 800+ and put it all down to trap mid 150's at that weight. Good luck doing it with junk turbos and holding together. Just get the Masterpower 70's, they are $700.00 each and worth every penny of it. Very good turbos, I would put them against Precision/Garret or Turbonetics any day of the week. Im getting ready to build a single 70mm setup on an 03 Cobra and we plan to make around 700 at the tire. Good luck to you.

2003 Cobra 375 c.i. Windsor Precision 106mm
2003 Cobra GT headed 5.4L Precision 88mm
2007 Z06 Vortech SI Trim and bolt ons
2006 King Ranch F350 22.5's and bolt ons

#15 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:12 AM

I realize that and I completely agree. Master Power makes a great product, especially for the price. It would be nice if the cheap turbos would hold up but I don't want to be a guinea pig with that kind of money, I'd rather just spend the money once and do it right. Thanks for talking me out of it guys, I'm sure it will be cheaper in the long run.

#16 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3301 posts
  • Interests:BOOST

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

I've got one on my car but I don't have enough miles to comment yet.

It's certainly making power. The general consensus is it won't last, however, when I was deciding between this turbo and Master Power, Bob said he had seen more failures from the master power turbos.

I'd eventually like to upgrade to a single 76 precision. I want to get all the tuning issues sorted out first.

Personally I haven't heard or read about an on3 turbo failure yet but I'm sure it's happened. If anyone has a link to threads involving people that have had failures I'd like to read them.

#17 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:01 AM

That's interesting to hear and definitely not what I expected. I wonder if he was talking about the old small shaft Master Power. I sent Bob a pm asking what he thought of them so hopefully he'll chime in with his opinion.

#18 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3301 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:12 AM

While we're on the topic, what makes a turbo higher quality (in terms of lifespan) than another?

Tolerances, oiling system design, and materials used to build right? Anything else?

Bearing vs non-ball bearing but even the reputable manufacturers make non-ball bearing turbos. In addition, it seems like ball bearing comes into play more for high boost applications and isn't as necessary for lower <20 psi boost levels.

It seems like a turbo is a fairly simple device. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that someone could produce the same quality turbo for cheaper than the current prices of a reputable turbo.

I'm still learning a ton about these turbos and tuning. I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

#19 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:22 AM

That's interesting to hear and definitely not what I expected. I wonder if he was talking about the old small shaft Master Power. I sent Bob a pm asking what he thought of them so hopefully he'll chime in with his opinion.

why would a cheaper Chinese turbo last longer than a better made one yea its a Brazilian piece buts its better in every aspect.If you going twins why not a pair of the super 60 masterpowers or just use a big single get an s480 and have room to grow its going to be more efficient than a small turbo working its ass off to keep up and you have some room to grow. some of the 76s will get you there but are at the end of their efficiency range.If you don't have the on3 setup jut look for something better.

Heres a ponydown setup with a t6

http://ponydown.com/newcatalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=141

#20 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:33 AM

And here is a 22 page thread on a Chinese turbo some guys have had good luck with thought about using a pair for a buddy's car. lots to read lots opinions and some videos.

http://www.theturbof...p?topic=96046.0

#21 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3301 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

I'm reading through that entire thread.

The thing to also keep in mind though is that not every Chinese turbo is made by the same company.

In addition, on3 is an American company and the owner Chad is pretty darn good about customer service. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he's the most active person from any turbo company on the Corral and I think he's on modularfords too.

Time is really going to be the test. Does anyone have any specific link to information about the 70mm on3 turbo failing? I've been doing google searches against the different sites and I haven't found anything yet.

#22 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:04 AM

I'm reading through that entire thread.

The thing to also keep in mind though is that not every Chinese turbo is made by the same company.

In addition, on3 is an American company and the owner Chad is pretty darn good about customer service. In fact, I'd go as far as to say he's the most active person from any turbo company on the Corral and I think he's on modularfords too.

Time is really going to be the test. Does anyone have any specific link to information about the 70mm on3 turbo failing? I've been doing google searches against the different sites and I haven't found anything yet.

The only reason chad is active on those forums is hes been booted from the better ones. chads sells stuff to Americans but the kits are Chinese. the longevity of these things is going to boil down to grade of material and quality control and we all know the Chinese aren't that big on either. I wouldn't put them on anything I did care about if its no big deal if it comes apart roll with it.

Edited by btate84, 17 February 2011 - 11:05 AM.

#23 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3301 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:12 AM

I'd really like to see someone break one down and compare it to a non-Chinese turbo. Otherwise, it's just opinion.

The Chinese are improving quality in their manufacturing processes. Learning from the Japanese and the ways of William Deming.

Look at Apple. Every single iPhone is made by Foxxcon in China.

There will always be cheap Chinese crap knockoffs but more and more we're going to be seeing higher quality Chinese knockoffs as well.

#24 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

I'd really like to see someone break one down and compare it to a non-Chinese turbo. Otherwise, it's just opinion.

The Chinese are improving quality in their manufacturing processes. Learning from the Japanese and the ways of William Deming.

Look at Apple. Every single iPhone is made by Foxxcon in China.

There will always be cheap Chinese crap knockoffs but more and more we're going to be seeing higher quality Chinese knockoffs as well.

You will see Higher quality things from them but I try to buy as much American as I can its the only way we survive I did buy a set of procomps and still use them OK yes tfs quality no. I tried to get a kit from chad at one point to compare to some others including a b&g and my cartech kit guy wouldn't even respond back to me. Opinion or not though they do have a higher failure rate due to cheap ass materials assembled by kids is a slum of a factory.

#25 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3301 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

Where are you seeing failures though? Again, I keep looking and I can't find any specific to the on3 turbo.

#26 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Where are you seeing failures though? Again, I keep looking and I can't find any specific to the on3 turbo.

Ive been a memeber of a certain board since early 2005 seen them there had some friends with them at some import shops and know individuals who have had good and bad luck with them. below is chads warranty notice you only get a month on the china turbo does kinda speak for itself even he doesn't believe in the shit. not saying the kits haven't performed from what others say they do just seeing history repeat itself the china kits haven't been known to last.

WARRANTY INFO:

1 year on the hotside from manufacture defects, 1 month for the On 3 Performance 70mm turbo and 1 year on the Master Power turbo. If there is an issue, we would need the product back in order for inspection to further inspect to either fix or issue a new part. Shipping will be covered one way, you will have to cover the shipping to us.

#27 jridenour31

jridenour31

5.slow

• Normal
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

Originally I was going to use an s480 but I'm not going to mess with the packaging issues associated with a giant t6 turbo. I have no idea why you mentioned overspinning a small turbo, twin 70's will not be working hard to go mid 150's. I'm going with twins for packaging reasons. I know On3 stuff is Chinese and there have been a lot of complaints about the kits. I'm not defending them at all. I have no interest in the kits. They could be great or garbage, I don't care. I'm wondering specifically about the turbos. I haven't actually heard of any falling. If you have any information regarding the turbos failing then I'll be all ears.

#28 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

Originally I was going to use an s480 but I'm not going to mess with the packaging issues associated with a giant t6 turbo. I have no idea why you mentioned overspinning a small turbo, twin 70's will not be working hard to go mid 150's. I'm going with twins for packaging reasons. I know On3 stuff is Chinese and there have been a lot of complaints about the kits. I'm not defending them at all. I have no interest in the kits. They could be great or garbage, I don't care. I'm wondering specifically about the turbos. I haven't actually heard of any falling. If you have any information regarding the turbos failing then I'll be all ears.

I was not really talking about over spinning but getting out of the efficiency range of them. but two 70s would be good for sure but still a lot of packaging between the two.Besides I know everyone is looking for a cost effective way to do things me too for sure I was trying to balance the line between cost and durability.

Edited by btate84, 17 February 2011 - 12:03 PM.

#29 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3301 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:04 PM

I'm going to see if Chad has a compressor map. I'm interested in seeing where this turbo operates the most efficiently.

#30 btate84

btate84
  • Normal
  • 733 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:08 PM

I'm going to see if Chad has a compressor map. I'm interested in seeing where this turbo operates the most efficiently.

He does but its written in chicken feet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users