Photo

Ameren is Ready...Set.....Terrible

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 slow91SCvert

slow91SCvert
  • Normal
  • 3170 posts
  • Interests:Cardinals, Rams, Blues and the belief that all men are not created equally.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

So I bought a house and set up the natural gas before my closing date of May 16. Then I never get a bill. I called Ameren and ask if they set up my account/transfer of service and the lady stated I would have a bill by June 22. Next thing I know is that last night I go to take a shower and my water is cold. WTF is my water heater broken? Nope the dipsh*ts at Ameren disconnected my service. I have to take off work to get them to reconnect my natural gas. Pretty cool.

End rant, I was just super pizzed.

Edited by slow91SCvert, 15 June 2012 - 09:35 AM.

Always wear your rubber gloves and sleeves.

#2 HRS PLY

HRS PLY
  • Board Moderators
  • 5501 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:31 AM

Ameren does gas?
Posted Image

#3 bravesman16

bravesman16
  • Normal
  • 454 posts
  • Interests:anything but work!

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

kinda what I was thinking. Ameren handles our electric, but I thought most the gas around here was Laclede.

#4 blackbullitt

blackbullitt

Get to the choppa!

• Normal
  • 4731 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

I have Ameren for gas service here in IL.
MATT

2003 DSG Cobra #6728
2006 Trailblazer SS

#5 bravesman16

bravesman16
  • Normal
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Il doesn't count ;)

#6 M1M

M1M
  • Members
  • 11801 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:30 PM

Ditto

M1MDesign.com
m1msig.jpg

#7 Jamey

Jamey

Stout95

• Normal
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with the family. Muay Thai. body building. anything that has to do with cars. trucks/etc

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Ameren does in fact handle gas service in illinois not sure about mo.
They did the exact same thing to us 2 years ago. when we bought our house.
and when they hooked up gas didnt check for leak's and gas was leaking out into ourbasement couldnt smell it for over a year i was wondering why my gas bill was almost 650 a month. needless to say i had to fix the gas leaks that they caused
at alot of money in the trash because they suck! wish there were a way to bargain for a different gas or electric gas company. but there is no option at the current moment.

#8 M1M

M1M
  • Members
  • 11801 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:02 PM

Ameren Natural Gas Utilities
The third largest distributor of natural gas in Missouri, Ameren Missouri serves approximately 127,000 customers in and around Columbia, Jefferson City, Rolla, Wentzville and Cape Girardeau.

M1MDesign.com
m1msig.jpg

#9 haus408

haus408
  • Normal
  • 3288 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

and when they hooked up gas didnt check for leak's and gas was leaking out into ourbasement couldnt smell it for over a year i was wondering why my gas bill was almost 650 a month. needless to say i had to fix the gas leaks that they caused
at alot of money in the trash because they suck! wish there were a way to bargain for a different gas or electric gas company. but there is no option at the current moment.

Jesus...$650/month gas bills for a year before you questioned it??? Obviously dangerous business on their end, safety first I guess... Glad you didn't blow up!

Edited by haus408, 15 June 2012 - 01:31 PM.

BlueLine.jpg

742f2053-7ad0-4581-af34-1f0a0e4d858b_zps

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part." -SE7EN

#10 bravesman16

bravesman16
  • Normal
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

never lived in an area where I had to have gas, so I wouldn't have known. Always been electric.

#11 slow91SCvert

slow91SCvert
  • Normal
  • 3170 posts
  • Interests:Cardinals, Rams, Blues and the belief that all men are not created equally.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

Yeah I live in Columbia, MO and the city takes care of everything other than gas. Ameren handles that in the city as far as I know.

Always wear your rubber gloves and sleeves.

#12 haus408

haus408
  • Normal
  • 3288 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

never lived in an area where I had to have gas, so I wouldn't have known. Always been electric.

Must have felt like Christmas when you found out what it was going to cost from then on!

**Oops, thought that was posted by Jamey. Disregard.

Edited by haus408, 15 June 2012 - 05:25 PM.

BlueLine.jpg

742f2053-7ad0-4581-af34-1f0a0e4d858b_zps

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote, 'The world is a fine place and worth fighting for.' I agree with the second part." -SE7EN

#13 Jamey

Jamey

Stout95

• Normal
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with the family. Muay Thai. body building. anything that has to do with cars. trucks/etc

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

Jesus...$650/month gas bills for a year before you questioned it??? Obviously dangerous business on their end, safety first I guess... Glad you didn't blow up!

I questioned it. was throwing a fit about it. but i have 2 furnaces one in back and one for the upper portion of the house.
had them out here 3 times. could not smell the gas it was leaking outside after the read outline. couldnt smell it outside until it got real cold this last winter and the basement was full of fumes. called them they came out shut our gas off until i could find someone to fix it. needless to say i have 4 children and luckily i have a friend that helped me out. they never offered to reimburse me for there faulty hookup.

#14 Starrman

Starrman

Bite Me

• Members
  • 11095 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:48 PM

So they had to hook up your gas line going into the house or just open the valve to turn it on?

#15 D-RANGD

D-RANGD
  • Members
  • 2311 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Tom, they had to perform a leak check on the system since service had been interrupted. After completion of a leak check they open the lockwing to let gas enter the home and finally they relight and ensure the proper operation of all gas powered appliances.

#16 Starrman

Starrman

Bite Me

• Members
  • 11095 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

Ok. I thought by what Jamey was saying it sounded like the gas company was hooking up to a new house and it wasn't done properly and caused the leaks. Just wondered how leaky fittings inside would be the gas company's fault unless they were the ones that installed them. If there is a leak on any of the lines, fittings, or appliances when they perform the leak check do they pay for the repairs or the homeowner?

When I first bought my house 15 years ago Laclede gas came and did their inspection and lit all the pilot lights (furnace and water heater....stove top and ovens are self igniting). A couple days later we could smell gas in the kitchen. They came back out and found it was a leaking valve in the back of the ovens. They are dual built in ovens and we had them order the part and install it. They didn't charge us for the labor because they said it should have been caught when they originally turned on the gas and inspected the system, so for our trouble we only had to pay for the cost of the replacement valve in the back of the oven unit.

That was Laclede, which I know also sells and installs gas appliances, and this was also many years ago (1996).

Edited by Starrman, 15 June 2012 - 09:09 PM.

#17 Jamey

Jamey

Stout95

• Normal
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

when we moved in they replaced the meter and main line that runs into the home. and one of the connectors was cracked and leaking

#18 Starrman

Starrman

Bite Me

• Members
  • 11095 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hell I'd be raising a storm with them then to get some type of reimbursement. Maybe not on the leaking gas used but at least for the repairs.

#19 D-RANGD

D-RANGD
  • Members
  • 2311 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

I don't really know how to take Jameys statement, and i'm not saying I don't believe you but I know for a fact that anytime a service man interrupts service or does work on a system that they MUST perform a leak check and thoroughly document the results before putting the system back into service. Saying that your bill was 650 a month really is what is throwing me for a loop because that means the leak was after the meter and short of a couple fittings the leak was in the home. That amount of gas leaking in a home would be very, very dangerous and also very easy to notice immediately even if you didn't go into the basement due to the ethyl mercapatan odorant in the gas.

#20 Jamey

Jamey

Stout95

• Normal
  • 966 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

I don't really know how to take Jameys statement, and i'm not saying I don't believe you but I know for a fact that anytime a service man interrupts service or does work on a system that they MUST perform a leak check and thoroughly document the results before putting the system back into service. Saying that your bill was 650 a month really is what is throwing me for a loop because that means the leak was after the meter and short of a couple fittings the leak was in the home. That amount of gas leaking in a home would be very, very dangerous and also very easy to notice immediately even if you didn't go into the basement due to the ethyl mercapatan odorant in the gas.

we called told ameren the appropriate repairs were done. they came back out and turned the gas on. and i could actually still smell gas. the guy told me they were at the appropriate levels on his monitor. and that was it. have not had any problems since.

Edited by Jamey, 20 June 2012 - 09:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users