Clutch Suggestions for a 475rwhp foxbody

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 White 89

White 89
  • Normal
  • 1535 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

i have all my parts for my V1 S trim install minus the blow thru carburator that im going to buy very soon. Not to long ago i picked up a TKO600 transmission which came with everything minus the clutch. Sometime soon I am thinking march time frame i want to go ahead and have the TKO600 installed. I need to buy a clutch. After the transmission goes in we are going to tackle installing the V1 S trim. when its all said and done im looking at around 450-475rwhp according to Roger from C&S carbs.

So what kind of clutch would you recommend for my set up. I am going to pretty much street drive this car all the time. I'd like to have something very close to factory pedal. I dont want a super stiff pedal. this is all new to me as far as higher horsepower manual cars. I dont know how a spec 3 clutch feels or any of the other types. Something that is smooth and has a nice pedal would be ideal for what im imagining. I understand that I might not get that though.

Member of the MUSTANG MAFIA....come get you some!!!

Posted Image

#2 badazfiveo

badazfiveo
  • Normal
  • 2033 posts
  • Interests:Racing the cobra

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

to hold that kinda power something like a spec stage 3 is about the level of clutch youd want imo.......but obviously your gonna have a stiffer pedal since the clamping force of the pressure plate is greater ....   with that being said I believe the stage 3 is going to have about 30%  percent greater clamping capacity so you can basically expect similar as to the pedal feel .....I had good luck with the ram HD  on my car which is similar to the clutch you had mentioned ....if you really wanted it to move like butter you could always do the hydraulic tob setup that's out there ......or the other option is to do a dual disc setup of which I don't have any experience with but a lot of guys are using with great success,   theyre a little pricey and are a bit harder to setup from what I hear   but have good pedal feel and a large clamp capacity from what ive heard about um

1997 Cobra
Built 4.6 dohc

Procharged and intercooled 14psi
Performance Automatic C4 rev manual w/brake
Ultimate Coverter Concepts converter
31spline axles with detroit locker and 4.11's
UPR K-member with coilovers
UPR chromoly adj arms, Ford B springs
Griffin Racecraft Anti-Roll Bar and 8point roll bar
Bobcat tuned

STLM stang of the month May 2013

2013 Mod Muscle 10th in points

"Sometimes your greatest failures, are followed by your greatest sucess."

NMRA Modular Muscle #10

#3 1BADLX

1BADLX
  • Members
  • 4865 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

I had a stage 2 spec at  525 rwhp without issues.  The pedal wasn't bad to me.

04Cobra001-1.jpg

2004 Mustang Cobra - Garage ornament
2011 Crew Cab F150 fx4 - 5 star tuned 5.0.

#4 White 89

White 89
  • Normal
  • 1535 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

what about something like this?

http://www.mcleodrac...T Twin Disc.mcl

Posted Image

#5 1BADLX

1BADLX
  • Members
  • 4865 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

You could also run a dual friction and be fine
04Cobra001-1.jpg

2004 Mustang Cobra - Garage ornament
2011 Crew Cab F150 fx4 - 5 star tuned 5.0.

#6 chuckman

chuckman
  • Normal
  • 86 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

i know it used to be hard to find a bad review of the centerforce df, but i havent even heard it mentioned in a few years, dunno if theyre still any good or if theres something better (other than the mcleod you linked, but the df is a lot cheaper last i checked).  i know i had a spec stage 1 when i first swapped to the t5, and that was a royal pain in the ass (well, leg and foot really, bastard was stiff as hell and "unfeatherable")

89 GT - explorer motor, tfs cam/intake, t5, 4.10's
11 F150 STX 5.0 - bone stock for now

#7 1cln89

1cln89
  • Normal
  • 1873 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:38 PM

I got a spec 3+ with my tranny however I have not installed it yet but the previous owner said that he noticed very little difference bw his stock clutch and the spec 3+.
038-1.jpg
64 falcon (under construction)
06 f350 powerjoke
89lx full bolt on 308 h/c/i with 4.10s -SOLD
05 Gto (the wife's) SOLD
95 5.0 auto slowest mustang ever-SOLD

#8 95BOSS

95BOSS
  • Members
  • 5148 posts
  • Interests:PIITB!

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

what about something like this?

http://www.mcleodrac...T Twin Disc.mcl

I can't personally comment on Mcleod clutches since I have never ran one, but I've seen a lot of bad stuff about them recently.  Might have to do with which one you get also though.

15b36ddf-41c1-465b-89d2-4f82e775f89c_zps

My T-bird, Cuba's fastest 2V....haha

10/14/11:
13.01 @ 107
1.79 60ft

#9 White 89

White 89
  • Normal
  • 1535 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

who has a twin disk set up..tell me about it. what do you like about it what kind is it and how much did it cost.

Posted Image

#10 BobCat

BobCat

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9828 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:59 PM

If you are interested in a twin setup the Ram dual disc is the way to go.  They drive almost like stock with a very light pedal effort and they have been able to hold all the power we have every put to them.   The McLeod on the other hand has had numerous issues....

For your powerlevel a dual disc really isn't necessary but if you are after the best in power holding capabilities and performance then the Ram dual is what you are after.

Posted Image

#11 renths50

renths50

Clayton

• Normal
  • 2388 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Bowling, Hunting, Cars, & Hunting. I am an automotive instructor.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

I recently installed a new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch with a new replacement spec friction disc. I love it. I'm running a Vortech blower pushing 12 lbs. and I usually launch it around 5k+ RPMs.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users