Photo

Minor Tuning Question SCT chip Bama Tune

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 89-FOX

89-FOX
  • Normal
  • 386 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ford, but especially Foxes!

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:27 PM

Ok, this is probably nothing but...I have a basically stock 89 LX 5.0. It has a couple minor bolt-on's motor wise (exhaust, throttle body, bigger airflow meter, fenderwell CAI) and a canned tune from Bama that's stored on a SCT chip. It's one of those free tunes for life American Muscle products that comes with 3 tunes you can select from with a switch (basic canned 91 octane tunes). You tell Bama what mods you have and they send you the tunes. Since my car is basically stock, I figure they just gave me something to raise the timing a little and make the car feel a little more responsive. Car has run fine with this setup for the last year or so (approx. 800 miles...I know I don't drive it much).

Anyway, I recently decided to ditch the fenderwell CAI and go back to the stock rubber flex upper inlet pipe and factory airbox (w/ a K&N drop in air filter). I didn't change the throttle body or air flow meter from before, just the change noted above. Car runs great on the same tune as before and pulls strong, sounds healthy, etc. The only difference is that now ever time I drive it, the check engine light comes on for a couple minutes after the car warms up (within the first ten minutes of driving). The light only stays on for about 2 minutes and then goes off on its own and never comes back on during that driving time. The next time I take it for a drive, it does the same thing, but always goes back off on its own. Car always runs fine when the CEL comes on and doesn't feel any different when it's on. I never had a CEL with the tune before when the fenderwell CAI was installed.

Question is: Since the light only comes on for a couple minutes and then goes off on its own and the car feels and drives great regardless, is this anything you think I should address on a car I drive maybe 800 miles a year? I hate to send the chip back to Bama for a re-flash if it's not really a big deal. The car runs strong as is and I really enjoy the tune. I don't really want to take a chance on having more issues once I get the chip back from Bama with a new canned tune. I'm inclined to do nothing and just enjoy the car but I thought I would get an opinion from some of you on the matter. I sold the CAI so putting it back on the car is not an option. I took it off because I liked the stock look under the hood for the car as it's not really a race car anyway. Just a nice clean cruiser to take to car cruises.

I realize this is a pretty lame tuning question compared to what most of you are building/doing on here but a couple thoughts on the matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by 89-FOX, 27 May 2015 - 04:31 PM.

19bd8371-d7a6-4c2b-9556-c01df81712a6_zps

#2 1BD9D7

1BD9D7
  • Normal
  • 728 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:33 PM

It would be worthwhile to plug a tuner in just to read what code is being thrown. Probably nothing to worry about. That's strange - my cel has never turned off lol but I know what codes are being thrown.
3CE7D741-FBE8-40CC-ABDE-633222BE6BC4_zps

#3 89-FOX

89-FOX
  • Normal
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:54 PM

Dumb question... But I suppose for a reader to tell me the code, I have to plug it in while the CEL is illuminated on the dash right? Like I said earlier, this CEL just comes on for a couple minutes during my drive and then goes away on its own. Its like it throws a code at the end of its warm up cycle and then shuts off shortly there after. Got to be related to the removal of the CAI, but I don't really see how that would make much difference. The tune can't be that sensitive. Its just a generic canned tune for a basically stock 5.0...

#4 95TurboCobra

95TurboCobra
  • Normal
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

1BD9D7 is def right, for sure worth looking to see what it is. Also seems like something is out of whack until your car reaches closed loop. Might just be a slightly rich condition due to less air now??

'95 Black Cobra Coupe

306ci, Vortech sold, B&G is currently building a turbo kit, Steeda 19 cam, AFR185 heads,TMoss Ported GT40 Lower, 60lb injectors, UPR (K member, Control arms, coil overs), TKO600 tranny. Tuned by Bobcat

'14 F-150 5.0 SCREW 4x4

'06 GT (sold)

'92 LX Coupe 5.0 (sold)

#5 89-FOX

89-FOX
  • Normal
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

^so your suggesting when the car reaches closed loop there is a correction that's made that makes the CPU happy?

Based off that suggestion, I did some google-Foo and read somewhere that in open loop the data is received only from the MAF sensor and that when the car has been running for a certain amount of time it goes to closed loop where readings from the warmed up O2 sensors make corrections to the air/fuel ratio. If that's true, then that makes sense with what's going on with my car I suppose. I just wouldnt think a fenderwell CAI and upper inlet intake pipe would really make a big enough difference in the tune's performance when replaced with a stock airbox (on a stock 5.0). I figured any restriction was in the MAF housing and throttle body, which remained unchanged.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

#6 BobCat

BobCat

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9844 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

I have personally never seen any BAMA tunes for the Fox bodies that have provided much if any gains..... There are so many variables and inconsistencies with the older cars the mail order tuning is a joke IMHO.   If you have a newer car with limited mods then often times the mail order tunes work very well but I have in fact gained 50hp over a BAMA tune on a 2013 with no other changes....that was obviously not the standard in gains but it has happened more than once and is also why I do not do any mail order tuning.

Posted Image

#7 89-FOX

89-FOX
  • Normal
  • 386 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:56 PM

Bobcat, thanks for the reply,

^yeah it doesn't really feel much different than just bumping the timing by rotating the distributor. The car does sound better and a tad bit louder with the tune in it though, which really adds to my enjoyment of the car. I would definitely rather leave the tune in than go back to the stock tune. It is a noticeable difference and it's optimized for me to use 91 octane which I always used anyway, another plus for sure. This car is my time machine. I just love the fox's. Very nostalgic for me. :)

Edited by 89-FOX, 30 May 2015 - 03:06 PM.

#8 89-FOX

89-FOX
  • Normal
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

Just as a follow up:

I'm happy to report that the CEL is no longer coming on during the warm up cycle. It stays off all the time now, and I did nothing! haha. Not sure what happened there but it still runs great and now I don't have a CEL coming on and off anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users