Self Tuning Options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brink7

Brink7
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:21 AM

Right now I am running a tune from american muscle using the sct tuner. I am interested in starting to tune on my own to work out some of the bugs and adjust for small changes instead of just running canned tunes. Right now I am thinking of going with SCT ProRacer. This would allow me to use the programmer I already have. I would actually kind of like to switch over to a chip so I could change tunes on the fly for NA or N2O. Not sure if the ProRacer software allows to tune with a chip instead of programmer. Also I am not sure all the costs associated with burning your own chips. Would love to hear some feedback from what everyone else is using.

2002 Mustang GT - 5 speed, BBK Longtubes, BBK catless X, Flowmasters, CAI, 78mm TB and plenum, Eibach Sportlines, 3.73 gears, SCT tuner

2008 F250 - Stock

1999 F350 -  Injectors and Chip - Sold

1995 Mustang GT -  Sold

#2 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3338 posts
  • Interests:BOOST

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:23 AM

It takes a significant amount of study before you can even begin to use PRP. I wouldn't do it without also committing to taking some of the tuning classes. They are expensive: http://www.thetuning.../learn-at-home/

Some guys have done it so it's not impossible but I found it daunting to say the least. PRP does allow you to program without a chip, but it's not like there's a checkbox that says "Enable Nitrous".

Lasota also has books you can buy that will teach you the basics.

http://www.lasotarac...O ALLBooks.html

#3 Brink7

Brink7
  • Newbies
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

I have several friends that have been tuning Subarus for years using open source software, but unfortunately as far as I know that is not an option for us. I already have some exposure to the tuning process and I can get advice from them as I run into hiccups along the way. The reason I was asking about a chip rather than a programmer is because they can store multiple tunes and you can switch from one tune to the other while driving. So I would like to have a tune for running NA on normal conditions, but I could click over to the tune I have setup for nitrous(different fuel and timing) when I feel that need. Anyone on here using Proracer or burning their own chips?

2002 Mustang GT - 5 speed, BBK Longtubes, BBK catless X, Flowmasters, CAI, 78mm TB and plenum, Eibach Sportlines, 3.73 gears, SCT tuner

2008 F250 - Stock

1999 F350 -  Injectors and Chip - Sold

1995 Mustang GT -  Sold

#4 03Steve

03Steve

Unlimited Warning Points

• Members
  • 7633 posts
  • Interests:Cycling & Fitness, Tuning Ford PCMs, Fishing, Industrial Controls

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

Anyone who has ever tuned a Ford started where you are now. However, in 2015 you have many more resources at your disposal than ten years ago. Buy the software, read the help files, read the descriptions for each parameter. Start with a stockish car and work your way forward.

2003 Cobra Coupe  SOLD
WFC8 #7 Heads Up Qualifier - Cobra Eliminator
MSC3 #1 Heads Up Qualifier - Fastest Ford Vehicle

1999 Cobra Coupe  CURRENT

2.3L VMP TVS

9.53 @ 142mph - 1.35 60'

2.3L Whipple

9.77 @ 141mph - 1.44 60'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users