2 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3338 posts
  • Interests:BOOST

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hey Guys,

My neighbor just bought a really nice shape hudson commodore with a 120 hp straight 8.

I haven't worked on anything this old so I'm curious if there is anyone on the site that has some knowledge and would be willing to share.

It's a 6V system. We replaced the battery, fuel, and coolant and it has oil. Added a bit of marvel mystery oil and it cranks but the clear fuel filter never fills and there doesn't seem to be any spark.

We measure 6V on both sides of the coil. We gently cleaned up the points with some emery cloth as well.

If the engine is cranking and it's a mechanical fuel pump, doesn't that mean the pump has to have a stripped gear for it not to be pushing fuel?

Another weird thing, is this some sort of floating ground system? Interior lights work but headlights aren't. I tried to measure the voltage between the chassis and a power distribution block and bad things started happening. The multimeter positive lead was getting hot. I might try measuring the voltage between battery negative and chassis and see what I get. I'm halfway expecting the chassis to be hot.

#2 92ragtop

92ragtop
  • Normal
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 10:37 PM

the diaphragm inside the mechanical fuel pump is probably dry rotted, replace it. could bypass it with an electric fuel pump, but not sure if there are any 6 volt pumps available today. look at which battery cable goes to the frame/engine to know if it a pos or neg ground. look over the ground connections for corrosion, as this can cause strange electrical issues. these early cars are pretty basic and straight forward, just make sure the body/frame/motor are all grounded to the battery. good luck.

#3 Mustang Matt

Mustang Matt
  • Normal
  • 3338 posts
  • Interests:BOOST

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

We got it running by siphoning fuel from a gas can into the carb. Discovered the brakes don't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users